Skills Test (Drive Test)
After passing the Knowledge exam, all applicants must then pass the Skills exam to be eligible for a Washington State Driver License. The Skills test will test applicants’ ability to drive legally and safely. Applicants must pass the Skills test with a score of 80 or better out of 100 possible points. Check out this FORM for an outline of what to expect during the Skills test. The Skills test will be conducted in the applicants vehicle. If the applicant does not have a vehicle to use for the Skills test, they may use a Rules of the Road vehicle for the drive test only. A $35 car use charge must be paid and a liability form must be signed prior to the test (Parent signature required for any applicant under 18 years old).
The following requirements must be met if the applicant elects to use their own vehicle for the Skills test:
-- All brake lights must work (including 3rd brake light).
-- All turn signals must work.
-- Head lights must work.
-- Seat belts must function and be used.
-- License plates must be on front and back of vehicle with current tabs on rear plate.
-- Current registration must be presented.
-- A valid insurance card must be presented at the time of testing.
(Examiner may verify insurance with carrier.)
-- Windshield must not be cracked or chipped in the line of vision.
-- Tires must meet state requirements for tire tread (no bald tires).
-- If raining, windshield wipers must function and the defroster system must work properly.
-- Driver side window must roll down far enough to use hand signals.
-- Emergency brake (parking brake) must be functioning.
Failure to meet the above vehicle requirements, at the time of a scheduled Skills test, will result with an appointment rescheduling charge of $20. Scores for the Skills test will be reported to the Department of Licensing electronically within 24 hours. Passing the Skills test does not guarantee that an applicant will be issued a driver license. The Department of Licensing will determine if an applicant has met all licensing requirements. The Department of Licensing reserves the right to retest applicants who complete tests through Rules of the Road Driving School.
Eligibility to take the skills test 15 to 17 years old
- Have completed a Driver Education Course and received a certificate of completion.
- Must have passed the Knowledge Exam within the last 2 years (either at the RORDS licensing office, Department of Licensing or through a state certified Driving School).
- All testing charges must be paid at the time of scheduling. Cash or Credit card only, Checks are not accepted.
Eligibility to take the skills test 18 & Older
- Passed the Knowledge exam within the last 2 years (either at the RORDS Licensing office, DOL or through a state certified Driving School).
- All testing charges must be paid at the time of scheduling. Cash or credit card only. No checks accepted.
ALL SERVICE CHARGES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
Copyright © 2019 Rules of the Road Driving School